Dexter has been in doggy heaven for 3 years now. I still miss him. But we move on and forward, even as we keep him (and other loved ones as well) close in our hearts.
This is one of his favorites –
I found a recipe in one of my doggie cookbooks (yes, I cook for my furbabies too!) and made some major adjustments. The original recipe called for ground beef and diced carrots. While Dexter likes carrots, beef made him ill. So I used ground chicken instead.
What I did –
1. Preheated the oven to 325*F.
2. Sifted 1¼ cups fine whole wheat flour and ¼ cup skim milk powder together.
3. Added an 1 egg white and 3/8 cup cooked ground chicken and 1/4 cup diced apple (diced in very small dices).
4. Mixed the mixture with my hands. The goal was to have the mixture resemble pie dough. Not too dry but not wet either, just moist enough to roll out. (I thought the mixture was a bit dry so I added about 1 to 2 tablespoons chicken broth and mixed until I got the consistency that I wanted.)
5. Rolled the mixture out to about 1/2-inch thickness (use a floured rolling pin on a floured surface) and used my doggie bone cutter to cut into shape. The little girl placed the cut out dough shapes onto a paper-lined cookie sheet. We actually stuck the pieces very close together since they wouldn’t be expanding anyway.
6. Baked them for about 22 to 25 minutes until the cookies were dry. Dexter prefers chewy over crunchy so we baked them just about 20 to 22 minutes. For a crunchy cookie, bake a little longer. Take care not to burn them though.
7. Cooled the cookies on a rack.
Dexter loved them!!! The other furbabies loved them too! (While I call this Dexter’s, they are really for all the furbabies!)